Clarifications to rules
Here are some are clarifications to the contest rules that might have inadvertently been interpreted in different ways in different years.
• Circulation categories don't change during the APSE dues year. The category for which you pay dues is your contest category, even if your circulation increases or decreases before January.
• A paper may compete in a larger circulation category but not a smaller one. All contest entries – writing and section divisions – must be made in the same category.
• Editors wanting to compete in a larger category must notify Don Skwar of the Boston Globe (800-628-6214) – and the contest catchers – before – submitting entries.
• When one staff publishes sports sections for several papers, they are considered one paper for APSE purposes. Dues must have been paid accordingly, with the combined circulation determining the category. If you didn't follow this procedure when you paid dues, your contest entries are subject to disqualification.
• Library printouts will not be accepted. You must submit – on 8½-by-11 paper and unfolded – clippings or copies of clippings.
• In the section divisions, the rule regarding material that does not appear in the regular sports section or page A-1 is different for optional days than mandatory days because you have no choice on mandatory days. For optional days, you have a choice. You can enter some other day (you have more than 300 from which to choose) to guarantee that all sports-related material for the day appears in your entry.